Water for Life ProjectKampong Speu, Cambodia
Description of Assignment
The Singapore International Foundation (SIF) is looking for a group of individuals to volunteer for its Water for Life (WFL) project in Kampong Speu which is around 50 km away from Phnom Penh and considered one of the poorest provinces in Cambodia. The main objective of the WFL project is to meet the vital basic need of clean water for daily living, and in so doing, reduce the mortality rate attributed to water-borne diseases and improve the overall quality of life.
Launched in 2010 in Siem Reap, Cambodia, WFL has successfully taken off. With the help of volunteers through the installation of bio-sand water filters, clean drinking water is now accessible to the villagers in Dan Run and Dam Diek commune. Spreading its wings further, the SIF has launched a three years project in partnership with Sao Sary Foundation (SSF) in engaging volunteers to help improve the water sanitation, livelihood and environment in the villages of Kampong Speu.
Depending on resource availability and needs assessment, volunteers may be involved in one or more of the following activities:
- Build and install bio-sand water filters in designated village households
- Conduct hygiene programmes
Watch the video.
Read more about the project here.
Get an idea of how to build and install a Bio-Sand filter here.
For FAQs, click here.
For application form, click here.
All volunteers are required to finance their own volunteer trips, including airfare, accommodation, travel insurance, local transport and meals.
Volunteers must be:
- Singapore citizens, PR or foreigners holding a work or study visa who are residing in Singapore
- At least 18 years of age
- Medically fit for overseas travel involving manual work
- Adaptable and willing to serve
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity
- Have an open mind and interest in learning about different cultures
- Have a sense of humility and friendliness, with the desire to serve the local community
- Teamwork and able to gain trust and build good rapport with fellow volunteers, local partners and community leaders, in order to work efficiently together to achieve the objectives of the project
The trips to Kampong Speu are scheduled on the following dates:
- 20 - 24 March *Applications closing 24 Feb*
- 17 - 21 April 2017 *Vacancies filling fast*
The SIF will make all the necessary arrangements for you for the trip. We will also conduct a pre-departure briefing and relevant training to equip and better prepare volunteers for the volunteer trip. An SIF staff or a team-leader will also provide on-site assistance during the volunteer trip.
A team co-ordinator will be appointed for every volunteer group to liaise with an SIF staff to coordinate the volunteer trip. The team co-ordinator is responsible for ensuring the required forms are duly completed and submitted, as well as coordinating the travel plans and arranging logistics for team. An SIF staff will be available throughout for consultation.
You will need to sign-up as a member to register for this event.
If you already have an account with us, please login to register for this event.
We have just migrated onto a new IT platform and are experiencing some technical issues.
If you receive the following error messages upon registering:
- There is no key word in dictionary; or
- You are already a registered member,
Please click on forget password. We will send you a link to reset your password.
In the meantime, we seek your patience and kind understanding and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Bangalore, IndiaCurriculum Development and Pedogogy Project
Vientiane, LaosEnglish Teacher Project
Kampong Speu, CambodiaWater for Life Project