A Heart for Volunteering
SIF honours the dedication of 12 long-service Singapore International Volunteers (SIVs) at its 2014 International Volunteer Day (IVD) celebrations.
“My advice to budding volunteers? Do not be afraid to take that first step into the world of volunteering, because every small effort from us counts. Although an individual cannot change the world alone, I am convinced that each act of volunteerism casts a wider ripple effect of change. And that’s what has kept me coming back, along with the friends I have made in Cambodia who inspire me with their resilience in spite of the challenges they face,” shares Irene Toh, Principal Physiotherapist at the Singapore General Hospital who has been volunteering with SIF in Vietnam for more than a decade.
Irene is among the 3,500 SIVs whose hard work, dedication and passion have made a difference to developing communities across 17 countries. Every year, our SIVs work on about 35 projects across Asia to help improve the quality of healthcare and education through skills training and the provision of direct services.
SIF celebrated the commitment of several long-serving citizen ambassadors towards community development overseas at this year’s IVD, themed “Celebrate Heart-Work”. It was also a celebration of the warm and enduring relationships that they have built across cultures. The SIVs are:
- Angilay Davy, Curriculum Design and Teaching Methodology Project in Vietnam
- Udhia Kumar, Social Work Project in Vietnam
- Irene Toh, Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Project in Cambodia
- Lily Wong, Early Childhood Education & Development Projects in Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar
- Lee Yoke Lan, Signature Hygiene Programme
- A/Prof Dr Celia Tan, Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Project in Cambodia
- Dr Khoo Kim Choo, Early Childhood Education & Development Projects in Vietnam, Myanmar
- Dr Bhavani Sriram, Enhancing Newborn Services Project in India
- Lim Lit San, Integrated Education Project in Indonesia
- Goh Siew Li, Speech Therapy Project in Cambodia
- A/Prof Dr Anette Sundfor Jacobsen, Emergency Obstetrics and Paediatrics Project in Laos
- Evelyn Yeo, Early Childhood Education & Development Project in Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam
May their actions serve as inspiration to others to do the same!
Keen to join SIF to connect and collaborate for change? Find out more about our volunteering programmes here.Back
SIF-NYC Collaborate to Build Regional Network of Young Changemakers
Singapore International Foundation (SIF) and National Youth Council (NYC) ink a three-year Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), formalising their partnership and commitment to collaborate on the ASEAN Youth Fellowship.
Perspectives of an ASEAN Community from Around the Globe – SIF Launches Volume III of ‘Singapore: Insights from the Inside’
To commemorate Singapore’s chairmanship of ASEAN this year, the SIF has brought together perspectives from friends across the globe on what the ASEAN identity means to them and how Singapore has and can contribute towards a better ASEAN...
Collaborating Across Abilities and Cultures
About 350 participants from 12 countries attended the Arts & Disability International Conference 2018 to share developments in the area of arts and disability.
Enhancing Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Services Programme in Surabaya
Some 200 Indonesian healthcare workers in Surabaya, Indonesia have been equipped with enhanced knowledge and skills to assess, treat and manage child and adolescent patients with emotional and behavioural issues. This follows a two-year...
Friends for a Better World
Through the lens of National Geographic, find out how our Citizen Ambassadors help to build a Better World.