Water for Life Project (Siem Reap, Cambodia)Siem Reap, Cambodia
Description of Assignment
The Singapore International Foundation (SIF) is partnering Water for Cambodia for a four-year clean-water project in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Through the installation of bio-sand water filters in rural households, the project aims to provide communities in the Siem Reap province with access to clean drinking water and enhance their quality of life through improved health and hygiene practices. This project is sponsored by Ngee Ann Development Pte Ltd.
The main objective of the Water for Life project is to meet the vital basic need for clean water for daily living, and in doing so, reduce the incidence of water-borne diseases, improve hygiene and sanitation conditions, enhance livelihood opportunities and improve overall well-being. You may watch the video on Water for Life.
Volunteers may be involved in the following activities:
- Assemble and build bio-sand filters;
- Install bio-sand filters in village households; and
- Conduct basic hygiene training (hand washing and tooth brushing) in villages and schools.
The upcoming trips to Siem Reap are scheduled on the following dates:
- 16-20 July 2018
- 3-7 December 2018
- 21-25 January 2019
- 11-15 February 2019
- 18-22 March 2019
Register your interest to participate here.
For more information, please email us here.
All volunteers are required to finance their own volunteer trip, including airfare, accommodation, travel insurance, local transport and meals.
*Each volunteer is expected to pay S$1,075 for a single room or S$975 for a twin-sharing room. Please refer to project information link above for more details.
Volunteers must be:
- Singapore citizens, PR or foreigners holding a work or study visa who are residing in Singapore
- At least 18 years of age
- Medically fit for overseas travel involving manual work
- Adaptable and willing to serve
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity
- Have an open mind and interest in learning about different cultures
- Have a sense of humility and friendliness, with the desire to serve the local community
- Teamwork and able to gain trust and build good rapport with fellow volunteers, local partners and community leaders, in order to work efficiently together to achieve the objectives of the project
Get an idea of what is a bio-sand filter and how to build and install it here.
Read more about the project here.
For FAQs, click here.
The SIF will make all the necessary arrangements for you for the trip. We will also conduct a pre-departure briefing and relevant training to equip and better prepare volunteers for the volunteer trip. An SIF staff or a Direct Service Team Leader will also provide on-site assistance during the volunteer trip. An SIF staff will be available throughout for consultation.
For corporate volunteer groups, a team co-ordinator will be appointed to liaise with an SIF staff to coordinate the volunteer trip. The team co-ordinator is responsible for ensuring the required forms and travel documents are duly completed and submitted, as well as coordinating the travel plans and arranging logistics for the group.
To register your interest for this project, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also reach us at +65 68378700
Siem Reap, CambodiaWater for Life Project (Siem Reap, Cambodia)