A Heart for Volunteering
SIF honours the dedication of 12 long-service Singapore International Volunteers (SIVs) at its 2014 International Volunteer Day (IVD) celebrations.
“My advice to budding volunteers? Do not be afraid to take that first step into the world of volunteering, because every small effort from us counts. Although an individual cannot change the world alone, I am convinced that each act of volunteerism casts a wider ripple effect of change. And that’s what has kept me coming back, along with the friends I have made in Cambodia who inspire me with their resilience in spite of the challenges they face,” shares Irene Toh, Principal Physiotherapist at the Singapore General Hospital who has been volunteering with SIF in Vietnam for more than a decade.
Irene is among the 3,500 SIVs whose hard work, dedication and passion have made a difference to developing communities across 17 countries. Every year, our SIVs work on about 35 projects across Asia to help improve the quality of healthcare and education through skills training and the provision of direct services.
SIF celebrated the commitment of several long-serving citizen ambassadors towards community development overseas at this year’s IVD, themed “Celebrate Heart-Work”. It was also a celebration of the warm and enduring relationships that they have built across cultures. The SIVs are:
- Angilay Davy, Curriculum Design and Teaching Methodology Project in Vietnam
- Udhia Kumar, Social Work Project in Vietnam
- Irene Toh, Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Project in Cambodia
- Lily Wong, Early Childhood Education & Development Projects in Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar
- Lee Yoke Lan, Signature Hygiene Programme
- A/Prof Dr Celia Tan, Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Project in Cambodia
- Dr Khoo Kim Choo, Early Childhood Education & Development Projects in Vietnam, Myanmar
- Dr Bhavani Sriram, Enhancing Newborn Services Project in India
- Lim Lit San, Integrated Education Project in Indonesia
- Goh Siew Li, Speech Therapy Project in Cambodia
- A/Prof Dr Anette Sundfor Jacobsen, Emergency Obstetrics and Paediatrics Project in Laos
- Evelyn Yeo, Early Childhood Education & Development Project in Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam
May their actions serve as inspiration to others to do the same!
Keen to join SIF to connect and collaborate for change? Find out more about our volunteering programmes here.Back
Singapore And Myanmar Team Up To Improve Healthcare For At Least 30,000 Lives In Yangon Over The Next Three Years
The collaboration between Singapore International Foundation (SIF), Yangon General Hospital (YGH) and Singapore Health Services (SingHealth) is aimed at raising the overall quality of trauma rehabilitation care in Myanmar.
Singapore and Indonesia Work Together to Benefit Over 50,000 Lives Annually in East Java, Indonesia
Launch of four-year programme seeks to address the universal challenge of reducing mortality rate of infants and children under five years of age.
Young Changemakers Of The SIF’S 2018 YSE Programme Gain Keen Insights Into Singapore’s Social Entrepreneurship Scene Ahead Of Their Final Pitching Session In October
This year marks the first time shortlisted participants were brought on a study visit to Singapore, and they received no less of an enriching experience than their alumni peers who had gone to Mumbai and Kuala Lumpur in previous years.
President’s Inaugural Visit to the Singapore International Foundation
The Singapore International Foundation (SIF) warmly welcomed Madam Halimah Yacob, President of the Republic of Singapore, during her inaugural visit as Patron at the SIF’s premises on 18 July. More than 80 Citizen Ambassadors, SIF programme...
Singaporean actress Oon Shu An and writer-host Jemimah Wei hit the road with our mobile library in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, joining the team of Singapore International Volunteers on the SIF's signature Words on Wheels programme.