A Heart for Volunteering
SIF honours the dedication of 12 long-service Singapore International Volunteers (SIVs) at its 2014 International Volunteer Day (IVD) celebrations.
“My advice to budding volunteers? Do not be afraid to take that first step into the world of volunteering, because every small effort from us counts. Although an individual cannot change the world alone, I am convinced that each act of volunteerism casts a wider ripple effect of change. And that’s what has kept me coming back, along with the friends I have made in Cambodia who inspire me with their resilience in spite of the challenges they face,” shares Irene Toh, Principal Physiotherapist at the Singapore General Hospital who has been volunteering with SIF in Vietnam for more than a decade.
Irene is among the 3,500 SIVs whose hard work, dedication and passion have made a difference to developing communities across 17 countries. Every year, our SIVs work on about 35 projects across Asia to help improve the quality of healthcare and education through skills training and the provision of direct services.
SIF celebrated the commitment of several long-serving citizen ambassadors towards community development overseas at this year’s IVD, themed “Celebrate Heart-Work”. It was also a celebration of the warm and enduring relationships that they have built across cultures. The SIVs are:
- Angilay Davy, Curriculum Design and Teaching Methodology Project in Vietnam
- Udhia Kumar, Social Work Project in Vietnam
- Irene Toh, Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Project in Cambodia
- Lily Wong, Early Childhood Education & Development Projects in Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar
- Lee Yoke Lan, Signature Hygiene Programme
- A/Prof Dr Celia Tan, Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Project in Cambodia
- Dr Khoo Kim Choo, Early Childhood Education & Development Projects in Vietnam, Myanmar
- Dr Bhavani Sriram, Enhancing Newborn Services Project in India
- Lim Lit San, Integrated Education Project in Indonesia
- Goh Siew Li, Speech Therapy Project in Cambodia
- A/Prof Dr Anette Sundfor Jacobsen, Emergency Obstetrics and Paediatrics Project in Laos
- Evelyn Yeo, Early Childhood Education & Development Project in Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam
May their actions serve as inspiration to others to do the same!
Keen to join SIF to connect and collaborate for change? Find out more about our volunteering programmes here.Back
Experiencing Singapore’s Heart and Soul through its social innovations
Eight journalists, five countries, one cross-cultural experience of a lifetime.
Nurturing an Arts for Good Ecosystem - Arts for Good Fellowship 2018
The second edition of SIF’s Arts for Good (A4G) Fellowship kicked-off in Singapore from 20 to 23 November 2018, with 32 Fellows across 10 countries to explore how the arts can be harnessed to empower youth in our communities.
Forging an ASEAN Youth Changemaker Network - Inaugural ASEAN Youth Fellowship 2018
40 young leaders from all 10 ASEAN nations across the private, public and people sectors gathered in Singapore for the inaugural ASEAN Youth Fellowship (AYF) from 10 to 16 November 2018. The AYF was jointly organised by the Singapore International...
ASEAN Youth Fellowship
From 10 to 16 November 2018, 40 young leaders from all 10 ASEAN nations across the private, public and people sectors gathered in Singapore for the inaugural ASEAN Youth Fellowship (AYF). The AYF was jointly organised by the Singapore International...
Journey with our favourite local personalities as they team up with our Singapore International Volunteers to do good overseas!