A Heart for Volunteering
SIF honours the dedication of 12 long-service Singapore International Volunteers (SIVs) at its 2014 International Volunteer Day (IVD) celebrations.
“My advice to budding volunteers? Do not be afraid to take that first step into the world of volunteering, because every small effort from us counts. Although an individual cannot change the world alone, I am convinced that each act of volunteerism casts a wider ripple effect of change. And that’s what has kept me coming back, along with the friends I have made in Cambodia who inspire me with their resilience in spite of the challenges they face,” shares Irene Toh, Principal Physiotherapist at the Singapore General Hospital who has been volunteering with SIF in Vietnam for more than a decade.
Irene is among the 3,500 SIVs whose hard work, dedication and passion have made a difference to developing communities across 17 countries. Every year, our SIVs work on about 35 projects across Asia to help improve the quality of healthcare and education through skills training and the provision of direct services.
SIF celebrated the commitment of several long-serving citizen ambassadors towards community development overseas at this year’s IVD, themed “Celebrate Heart-Work”. It was also a celebration of the warm and enduring relationships that they have built across cultures. The SIVs are:
- Angilay Davy, Curriculum Design and Teaching Methodology Project in Vietnam
- Udhia Kumar, Social Work Project in Vietnam
- Irene Toh, Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Project in Cambodia
- Lily Wong, Early Childhood Education & Development Projects in Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar
- Lee Yoke Lan, Signature Hygiene Programme
- A/Prof Dr Celia Tan, Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Project in Cambodia
- Dr Khoo Kim Choo, Early Childhood Education & Development Projects in Vietnam, Myanmar
- Dr Bhavani Sriram, Enhancing Newborn Services Project in India
- Lim Lit San, Integrated Education Project in Indonesia
- Goh Siew Li, Speech Therapy Project in Cambodia
- A/Prof Dr Anette Sundfor Jacobsen, Emergency Obstetrics and Paediatrics Project in Laos
- Evelyn Yeo, Early Childhood Education & Development Project in Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam
May their actions serve as inspiration to others to do the same!
Keen to join SIF to connect and collaborate for change? Find out more about our volunteering programmes here.Back
Growing and Enabling an Arts for Good Community
29 participants from around the world gathered in Singapore for a four-day programme to explore how the arts can shape an inclusive society for persons with disabilities.
Cross-Cultural Learnings for Greater Social Impact
Young Social Entrepreneurs (YSE) 2017 finalist teams share how international friendships forged during the programme exposed them to other social business cultures and in turn, helped them refine their business plans for success at Pitching for...
Words on Wheels (WoW) Launches in Yogyakarta to Promote Literacy and Foster Singapore-Indonesia Collaboration
The Singapore International Foundation (SIF), together with the Provincial Government Board of Library and Archives of the Special Region of Yogyakarta (BPAD DIY), will bring the signature reading programme to Yogyakarta doubling the number of...
Artists for a Better World: Singapore Study Visit
The Artists for a Better World (ABW) programme seeks to grow the Arts for Good ecosystem, which harnesses the power of the arts and culture to create positive social change. This year’s inaugural edition brought together 29 participants...
Friends for a Better World
Through the lens of National Geographic, find out how our Citizen Ambassadors help to build a Better World.